1. Can you briefly introduce yourself and your role within the school?
I'm Lisa Lampe, Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Affairs in School of Engineering and Applied Science (also called E-school, SEAS, or UVA Engineering). I supervise the Undergraduate Programs Office and provide comprehensive student support, including academic coaching, advising, advocacy, and major exploration for engineering undergraduates. I have helped develop a summer transfer program called Summer Transfer Engineering Program (STEP). Check out the amazing team of people I get to work with inside of UVA Engineering!
2. What makes this program unique compared to similar programs at other institutions?
UVA Engineering has a Support to Succeed Model where we provide holistic support to students and work to remove any barriers to student success. We have embedded supports in our buildings for easier access. For example, our Assistant Dean of Students serves on an on-call rotation across the university and is physically located right next door to me. She is pivotal in our support of students as we know that student's learning is often impacted by life events or circumstances outside the classroom. Similarly, we have two embedded counselors for mental health support.
3. How would you describe the program's culture and learning environment?
UVA Engineering is the second largest school at UVA with over 3,000 students. So we have robust support and our 10 majors feel like a community within our school. Students enjoy connecting directly with their faculty. Check out UVA Engineering YouTube to hear directly from some of our students and faculty.
4. What types of students tend to thrive in this program?
Engineering as a field relies on problem solving and a team approach to making the world a better place. Students who thrive in our program explore their part in that larger purpose. I would encourage you to think about your unique set of experiences that help you bring an understanding of the problems people and society faces. Additionally, students who thrive also apply the design process to their own undergraduate experience by connecting with supports to intentionally learn deeply and be well. Our students see asking for help from their peers, staff and faculty as a sign of maturity and excellent problem solving.
5. What are some common misconceptions prospective transfer students have about the program?
The most common misconception among students who transferred into UVA Engineering is that they will need to work harder on their own. While I've heard the pace of course material is faster, the misconception is that everyone else is somehow easily learning the material at a faster pace. To combat this misconception, I encourage all of our students, especially students who compare themselves to others, to open up, share their assumptions, make friends, and connect with learning and support resources. A team approach is more efficient and motivating than working harder alone.
6.What is one thing you wish transfer students knew about your school before they started?
Get to know one of your faculty and use Engineering Career Development quickly. They will open up doors for you and help you consider paths you might not have already considered. You are enrolling at a Research I institution with internationally renowned faculty who are doing cutting edge research and student organization who design and compete on the national level.
7. What is your go-to Bodo's order, and where on Grounds would you eat it?
I like the BLT on wheat with avocado. To be honest, I typically eat at my desk in Thornton A111 and bring my own lunch since I enjoy cooking meals at home. I'm pretty frugal and like fresh veggies and fruit, especially berries. When it's nice or someone invites me outside, I go to Darden Courtyard in the middle of Thornton Hall or the picnic tables in front of Thornton Hall.
No comments:
Post a Comment