Thursday, August 29, 2013

The High School Transcript

For our last installment in this series, let's talk about the high school transcript.  The high school transcript (or GED score report) is required for every applicant, no matter how old you are and no matter how many college courses you've taken.  Even if you're planning on getting an associates, or maybe you already have one... the high school transcript is required.  Squash those rumors.  We have seen diligent applicants who graduated from high school 20, 30 years ago get their transcripts. It's more possible than you might think.

If you attended high school outside of the U.S., we require a translated transcript.  Most applicants use WES or the World Education Service, This can take time, so start working on it as soon as possible, be you a spring or fall applicant.

If you graduated high school recently, we are still closely looking at your high school record.  Typically, the longer you've been in college, the less we'll look at your high school record.

Order those transcripts now. Check it off of your mental to-do list early. You can send them even if you have yet to apply.  We'll gladly hold onto it until your application is submitted.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Foreign Language for UVA

When we meet transfer students, they are often surprised that we look for foreign language from the applicants who are interested in the "College" of Arts and Sciences, the McIntire School of "Comm"erce and the Curry BA/Master of Teaching program. This has always been a part of the degree programs and you will do yourself a great service by taking these courses before you come to UVA.  In fact, the Comm school expects you to have them before you get here. The GAA absolutely requires it.  But, the bottom line is that we look for it from all applicants to these schools.

You may take the courses through the 202 level and in some cases, you can take an AP or an SAT Subject exam to satisfy the requirement.  For a list of how to satisfy language through testing, go to: