Sunday, February 28, 2016

Deadline Time

Deadline day is upon us.  You guys are lucky with the leap year.  You have that extra day to work on the application.  We hope you'll use it wisely.  We hope many of you are putting the finishing touches on your applications this weekend.  How terrible would it be if your internet went out, or your computer crashed, or you became sick and you couldn't apply the evening of March 1.  Don't delay.  Let's leave Super Tuesday to politics and not to applicant meltdowns. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you submit.

-Read the application instructions. There's a whole section specific to transfers about "Accessing the Student Information System" and so many of the questions we get on the phone or over email are answered here (or on the sidebar to the right). 


-A few days after your file is pulled into our system, UVA's Student Information System will send an email with login information to the email account you used on your Common App. On the main screen, you'll see a "to do" list of items that need to be checked into your file. The first time you log in, you might see items that are in our system, but just haven't been matched up to your file yet. Please be patient. It takes a few weeks for our staff to match all those transcripts to newly submitted applications.

-You don't have to "rush" your standardized test scores. As long as you have submitted your request for the ACT, SAT, TOEFL or IELTS, we can work with you. In an ideal world, you'd have submitted those requests earlier in the month, but we'll have plenty of things to work on if the scores aren't here on deadline day.

-This is probably what's most important.  Paying the fee doesn't submit your application. Every year, there are people who submit a payment, but don't submit their actual application.  Please watch out for this. Please be thorough.




Good luck!



16 comments:

Unknown said...

So, you're saying that the SAT scores don't have to be at UVA on deadline day? On college board it's saying delivery will be 2-3 weeks which would put them past the March 1st deadline.

Anonymous said...

I know the Mid-Term report is recommended; how important it that form? Will it make or break our application if it isn't sent?

Unknown said...

I can't wait! I'm hopeful this time around. I love UVA and hope I can be a part of a great, smart, and beautiful community! :)

Transfermer said...

Caleb,
That's ok. Ideally, we would like the scores right around March 1, but we'll hold your application.

Raygan,
Generally, it's not a make or break situation, but it might help the applicant who is on the margins.

Good luck Fredy!

Anonymous said...

how do we know if our application is submitted? I payed the fee on the common app and got two emails, one saying my fee was paid and one saying my application was submitted. I just want to be positive that it is submitted

Unknown said...

Are we supposed to send the mid-term report now?

Anonymous said...

Hi Transfermer,

As a 29-year-old applicant, I was told I do not need to send in my SAT scores from high school. However, in the SIS system, it says that my application is incomplete and that "SAT or ACT scores must be submitted."

I presume my application will eventually be looked at and updated in the SIS system, but I just wanted to check on this to be sure!

Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi, Transfermer

Just wondering. It's been 6 days since I submitted my entire application. When will I receive a confirmation email to access the UVA SIS?

Transfermer said...

Megan,
That's it. I know it's easy to make this more complicated than it is. You should have gotten your SIS confirmation email and that really settles it so that you're on your way.

Alvin R,
The mid-term report is meant to be completed after mid-term exams. We understand that is always long after the March 1 deadline. The report will gives us a picture of how you’re performing at the halfway point in the semester. If you end up sending it, plan on sending it by the first week of April.

Jeff T,
This is an automatic function of SIS for every applicant. Your age/status will be understood during review and it might be removed from your to-do list. If you would like it to be removed, you can email us.

Fredy Paz,
We can see that your application is in process. Check your spam mail for the confirmation. Also, make sure you are checking the email address you put on your application. Finally, you may want to account for the weekend in terms of waiting for the confirmation.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Transfermer! I was able to access the SIS today. Patience is a virtue :)

I just have two more questions: In fall 2014 I received a letter grade of C in ENG 111 (due to personal circumstances) will this be looked down upon heavily? If so, would it be a good idea to just retake it next semester? Thank you so much!

:)

Peyton Thomas said...

I have yet to get my SIS information yet. Does this mean my application did not go through? I've checked my spam mail and everything. At what point do I start worrying? Should I go ahead and contact undergraduate admissions office?

Unknown said...

Hey Transfermer,

I submitted my application of Feb 29 and have not received my SIS login email (spam folder has been checked). I received an email about a myUVA page, but not SIS. I did apply last year out of HS and have recovered that SIS login info, although there is no information to be seen when I log in with this....

Transfermer said...

Peyton and Charles,
We can see both of your applications. You should be able to see your SIS accounts by using the same username and password that you see in your myUVa account. To get started, go to https://sisuva.admin.virginia.edu/psp/epprd/EMPLOYEE/EMPL/h/?tab=PAPP_GUEST#redirected. If this doesn't work, you'll need to contact the help desk at 4help@virginia.edu or 866-469-4866. Maybe Fredy can shed some light on how he was pointed to check his SIS account.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Transfermer,

I just looked into it and contacted the help desk. I have everything worked out now. Thanks for the help!

Unknown said...

Good on you, Charles!

Peyton,

I'm not sure if this will work for you but what I did to gain access to SIS is I went on the SIS main website (or copy and paste the link Transfermer posted above)

Once on the website I requested access to SIS, on the far right should be a link that says "Retreive your computing or SIS ID"

registered like a new user, plugged in all my info, and shortly received an email confirmation to log into SIS, and oddly enough they had my old information from a few years ago (I even saw when I submitted my old applications lol) when I applied in 2009 and 2010. Maybe that's why I was able to get access quicker. I would try it out that way if I were you. If anything, feel free to call the help desk as Transfermer said.

Hope this helped. Good luck, everyone! :)


Fredy