Friday, August 11, 2017

Back to School!

Wow, this summer has really flown by and it's time to turn your attention to perfecting those fall semester schedules.


As you prepare to return to school (or maybe this is your first semester of college), it's important to be aware of the pre-requisite courses necessary for transfer to UVa. We realize there are courses you'll need to take at your institution, but it's important to overlap, or incorporate what we're looking for as well.

If you go to our website admission.virginia.edu/transfer and click on "Transfer Course Requirements" on the left-hand side, you'll see some very helpful introductory information.  Once you click through to each school -- the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Architecture, etc -- you'll see a list of exactly what you need to take.  Follow this closely.  If you would like to see how your school's courses might transfer, you can use our transfer credit analyzer.  This will show most of your institutions and many courses.  Do not fret if courses you have taken do not appear on the analyzer.  It doesn't necessarily mean that they won't transfer, but our registrars will evaluate the credit once you're admitted.

We look forward to answering any questions here with regards to finalizing your schedules! 

3 comments:

Darlenne H. said...

Hey Dean J!

I'll be applying to the College for fall 2018 admission under the GAA. The agreement states that I should have 54 transferable credits and an associate's degree to qualify for guaranteed admission. I'll have earned a Liberal Arts A.A. at the end of this school year, but I'll only have 51 transferable, credits. At the link below, I found that the College of Arts & Sciences awards advance-standing credit for select CLEP exams, and I was wondering if taking a CLEP exam to earn the additional 3 credits would meet the requirements of the agreement.

My counselor advised that any credits I earned with a CLEP exam would be considered transfer credits on my NOVA transcripts, and would count toward my degree at NOVA. How would UVA admissions view the 3 credits earned via CLEP exam? Could the additional 3 credits from one of the CLEP exams listed below help me meet the requirements?

Link: http://records.ureg.virginia.edu/content.php?catoid=43&navoid=3014#adva_exam

My plan b is to take an additional course in the Spring, but I'd prefer not to since I am already taking an overload in the fall.

P.S. Thanks for the super helpful posts! I really appreciate this blog.

AxeCapital said...

Hello!

I am applying to the College of Arts and Sciences for Fall 2018 as a transfer student from NOVA.

I have a question about the GAA from NOVA:

If at the time I submit my application I am .02 points below the GPA requirement, will I be forfeited? Apps are due towards the end of our spring semester, and after my spring semester I will be above the GPA requirement; is that taken into consideration with mid-term reports?

I will have a 3.38 when I submit my application, however, once the spring semester is complete I expect it to be a 3.53; after doing cumulative calculations.

Transfermer said...

Darlenne H,
Yes, anything that is deemed transferable on that CLEP table will work for the GAA. You just need to make sure that you take at least 45 credits worth of coursework at your community college.

AxeCapital,
Let’s see what your true GPA is at the end of the fall semester. Remember not to put undue pressure on yourself. Taking a great number of credits to bump up a low GPA might not be the best route to go. To answer your question, it is unlikely that you would be denied the GAA for this reason. Mid-term reports do not give us a GPA.
If you happen to be wait listed, then the new GPA will help you towards the offer of admission.